Meet and Greet BBQ Featuring the 2012 Wild Gift Leaders and Special Guest, Rod Nash
FREE MEET AND GREET BARBEQUE FEATURING THE 2012 WILD GIFT LEADERS
AND SPECIAL GUEST, AUTHOR/OUTDOORSMAN/ADVENTURER, ROD NASH
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
“We always thought of growth as synonymous with progress but maybe bigger is not better if it creates a civilization that is unsustainable.”
- Rod Nash
(Sun Valley, Idaho) August 8, 2012. Local nonprofit, Wild Gift, is hosting a free barbeque to introduce its 2012 class of Wild Gift Leaders and their better world projects to the community.
The event will be held at Backwoods Mountain Sports on Monday, August 27 from 6–8 pm and will include a discussion and book-signing by Rod Nash.
Inspired by the wilderness, Wild Gift empowers better world entrepreneurs to create businesses, ideas and projects that can change the world. Since its foundation in 2001, Wild Gift has mentored 36 new leaders, launching projects worldwide in the areas of education, agriculture, renewable energy, community development and land preservation. These Leaders form an active network of peers who mentor, guide and inspire each other on the road to success.
Projects that Wild Gift has assisted in developing, supporting and sustaining include:
- North American Odyssey An online curriculum for third through eighth graders that follows a canoe, kayak and dogsled expedition across North America. Students interact with the expedition’s guides and are empowered to protect our waterways and wild lands.
- Gotham Greens A New York City-based company, Gotham Greens is working to advance sustainable urban agriculture. It built and operates NYC’s first commercial scale, urban greenhouse facility, which provides restaurants and retailers with premium quality produce year round.
- Earth Justice Initiative Working together, this coalition of 50 organizations is striving to protect Ontario, Canada’s Boreal Forest, the largest wild forest in North America
- Southern Hues Using nature’s beautiful palette to color clothing and other products, Southern Hues is generating a need for natural dye plants. In turn, this growing business provides a new alternative crop for farmers to grow and market while expanding crop diversity.
- Rising Sun Collective This organization is assisting a movement working to transform one of the poorest and most dangerous slums in the western hemisphere into the cleanest, greenest place in urban Haiti.
- Small World Carbon Based in rural Africa, this company is facilitating a new carbon credit market that will fund small village sustainability projects.
This year, Wild Gift selected four outstanding young entrepreneurs as our newest group of Leaders. Their proposed projects include a Sun Valley-based enterprise that will support athletes engaged in social causes and a company that will bring quality education to rural Nepal.
These Leaders will participate in a two-week backpacking trip designed to inspire personal vision and perspective. The culmination of this journey is the barbeque on Monday, August 27, which will provide an opportunity for the community to meet the Leaders and learn about their sustainable projects.
Rod Nash, the renowned author of Wilderness & the American Mind will introduce the Leaders. Nash will also be signing copies of Wilderness & the American Mind, a work so significant that Outside Magazine has called it “one of the ten books that changed our world.”
Nash, founder of the environmental studies program at the University of California at Santa Barbara, has whitewater-rafted more than 40,000 river miles and is an avid outdoorsman and adventurer.
Please join us on August 27 for food, drink and inspiration and meet Wild Gift’s 2012 Leaders and author, Rod Nash.
For further information, contact Deborah Knapp, Wild Gift Executive Director at
[email protected] or (208) 471-5091.